Google Website Translator Gadget

Saturday, March 12, 2011

China in My Eyes, February 2011

I happened to have a chance to visit China wk8 this year. Only one week, but it was an eye opener. The last time I visited this Middle Kingdom was last year's May, it was only a few day's trip, and it was an eye opener also.

China has changed a lot during these past year, unfortunately to a worse direction in my option. By "China" I don't mean government or environment or economy, I mean the quality of the everyday life of people. One may ask that how am I measuring this quality? Well, by having discussions, observing, contemplating, experiencing.

The one major change has been inflation, meaning that the prices of everything have gone up in huge leaps, whereas people's income have grown in much smaller steps. This trend is more general than just China, but in China the gap between rich and poor is already huge, and it's widening at an unbelievable pace. Social unrests shall follow if nothing is done. I am worried about this country.

Another major thing is the attitudes of people. Already earlier I've experienced the mentality of "can't do, can't help the situation, can't change the society, can't change anything". Now I see it being even more obvious that people have given in. Everybody is just striving to make his/her bread for the day, some just try to spend as much as possible in enjoying what life can offer. Nobody cares, nobody can make a difference. I don't mean political difference, there are a lot of people trying to do that, and good luck to them. I mean to make a difference in the society, in the way people think and act, in the value system, in the ways of living. It's not about wealth or health, nor about beauty or beast, it's all about what we are living for, why are we living at all?

Returning to Finland, I experienced some minor crisis inside me due to the huge contrast between the ant-hill living style in China and the relatively laid-back style in Finland. The biggest shock was the spiritual life, it's also laid-back in Finland, easy going, no pressure, no direction. Honestly speaking, I was frustrated for a day or two. Then I adjusted. It's scary how people can adjust themselves.

However, there are many wonderful things both in China and in Finland, and I do enjoy them and thank God for His goodness. At the end, the overall feeling I have from the trip is that I need to take life seriously. Take my faith seriously. I'll continue in another post about the Cost of Discipleship.

For the wonderful parts of the trip, there were family and relatives, friends, new experiences, and food. :) So here are some pics of the food and places. You know I don't put people's pictures here, some memories are better stored in the mind and heart.


The breakfast in BJ, a quick stop-over to meet a friend.


City view of BJ in Winter. Much more sunlight than in Finland...


The only food I actually desired to eat when visiting China this time: Do Fu Nao (Tofu), in chili.


Home made chili paste between the home made steamed bun. Nam!


Bricks for construction at the countryside. Something rural in comparison to big cities.


The elementary school I went to during my childhood. So many memories for the whole place, including the residence area besides the school.


The famous and delicious Xi An dish: Yang Rou Pao Mo (pieces of bread in lamb soup stew).


Da Mei Sha beaches near ShenZhen. We visited this place back in the Summer of 2009... :) Didn't go swimming this time, too cold. Memories...


During a long discourse with an old friend in BJ, these dishes were served. Nam! :D

1 comment:

  1. Eating outside in one picture! Anyway, delicious looking food. It's a complicated thing to take faith seriously. Everything is connected to everything and no one can be sure if everything is in balance. We are humans in the end - but I think what is impossible for us as humans is very possible for us in Jesus through the Holy Spirit. That's our hope. God is good!

    ReplyDelete