Google Website Translator Gadget

Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Revitalizing The Blog

It seems that this blog has been sleeping for some time, so now is a good time to ring the wake up call. What has happened during the past two years or so?


The monkey king in the picture is not the answer to the rhetoric question above. Two years has included a lot of things, especially in the mind-buzzing high-speed ever-changing environment of China. Maybe it's good to simply summarize, maybe just a few highlights or learnings, if it can rightfully act as an extended memory picture.

1. The biggest thing in the past two years: a transformation of mind. Towards the end of our stay, I felt that I have become a local person. I followed the local news, knew the tricks in dealing with various issues, checked traffic condition from the map before going out, checked regularly air pollution forecasts and planned our life accordingly. Everything was normal, part of life. It felt good to belong, but it also became exhausting. Life in a big city is not easy nor relaxing.

2. The Funniest thing in the past two years: there were so many, perhaps mostly related to our kids. But for me personally, some great colleagues at work have brought a lot of fun into everyday life. The jokes, the discussions, the attitude with which we handled our dwindling job. Very professional, mostly, and definitely unique in many ways. And I find it funny.


3. The happiest moment: This is a tough one, because I tend to find happiness often and in everyday lives. I am often thankful to God for minor details, and satisfaction brings a lot of happiness. Perhaps the major happy moments relate to the assorted meals I managed to enjoy all over the places, heh. Then again, the single most happiest moments relate to seeing and knowing that the lives of some of our dear friends have experienced God and changed. Simple as that.

4. The saddest moment: The saddest moment was, when the husband of my aunt was diagnosed with lung cancer at late stage, but he was kept unaware of the seriousness of it. I went to see him, but could not tell it to him, and could not openly discuss death with him. A couple of weeks later he died, only one day after finding out about the cancer. I think I should have boldly talked to him about things, now it's too late. The saddest moment is the wrong decision / lost opportunity, which can only be regretted. And to learn from.


5. The most touching experience: This also relates to sickness and death. A close family friend was diagnosed with pancreas cancer, went through couple of successful surgeries, but suddenly the cancer spread wider and he died after few months of hospitalization. He was a successful man in his career, artistic, sensible, and has a wife and daughter. He was sporty and tall, and owned a healthy frame. But towards the end, he was stripped one layer at a time, one title at a time, one thing a time, until he was weak, thin, hopeless. His wife stayed by his side until the end, but inside his thoughts, he had to surrender everything that used to be dear to him. I had couple of occasions to visit him, talk with him, pray for him, and tell him about salvation in Jesus Christ. He was willing to receive Jesus into his heart. Was it a desperate grasp of anything that could save him? I don't know. God knows. When I gave him a hug before leaving, he pulled me to himself and gave me a long hug, with tears. I am thankful I could be there for him.

6. The most beautiful thing: The smiles of people, the beautiful creation of God, the growing children, the tears of repentance and salvation. For me, the most beautiful things were minor details I observed through the mundane daily routine. And there were many!


An old man playing guitar and singing old tunes.



A train station right before heavy rain fall



Childhood delicacies: buns with chili, and Tofu with chili sauce



Sea side

No comments:

Post a Comment